Looking for Best Laptops For Law School then you are at Right Place. Today, laptops have become an integral part of law schools. Just like in every other degree, you need a laptop to study and complete your assignments in law as well.
When it comes to buying a laptop, you will find countless models in the market. But you need to pick the one that is suitable for your law school needs. Your choice is dependent on factors like CPU, RAM, storage, etc. Apart from these specifications, you also need to make sure that you are opting for a reputed brand.
As you may already know there are many laptop brands in the market. Some of them are more expensive than others. For most students, the budget is an important factor. The good news is that you can easily get budget-friendly laptops from any of the available brands.
If you have just started with your law school and yet to get your new laptop, then you are in the right place. In this post, we will suggest you some of the best laptops that makes a great choice for law students. Along with that, we will also discuss some important about buying laptops. That being said, now let’s walk you through the details below.
Specs Recommended for Law School Laptops
Laptops are convenient electronic devices that are designed to make your work easy. They are not only highly functional but also look aesthetically pleasing.
When buying a laptop for your law school studies, you need to make sure that your laptop has all the required specs. Also, it should give you a smooth performance to support all your web browsing and multitasking. At the same time, your laptop should be lightweight and easy to carry. To give you an idea, we have listed the specs that are recommended for law school.
4GB Ram should be just fine for your law school laptop. However, if you are more into multitasking, then you can opt for 8SB RAM.
It doesn’t matter, whether you choose Intel or AMD. You just make sure that your laptop has got at least 2GHz which is common in almost all laptops today.
You don’t have to buy anything extra and expensive. You can choose from Core i5 or i3 with the 7th or 8th generation. Just avoid opting for Core i7s.
One of the most important things is the display. You should not settle for anything less than 1080p. This resolution is just perfect for multitasking. Opting for anything lower than this is just not recommended.
As far as storage is concerned, you can choose anything from 128GB and 250GB. This should be enough to store all your important documents and PDFs.
Today, most laptops come with more than 250GB storage which should be a bonus for you. Also, you should opt for Solid State Drives as they are more convenient to use and can also help you save a lot of time by launching your software in seconds.
The next important thing is the weight. Since you will be carrying your laptop to school every day, it should be lightweight and portable. Anything below 3lb is fine. If you get something heavier, then it’s sure to take a toll on your body.
You also have to make sure that you have a decent keyboard for typing. After all, that’s what you will be doing most of the time in your law school. When buying a laptop, you should check whether the keyboards are fast or not. They should work butter smooth.
Many of the laptops come with backlit keys which is a cool feature. But if that is out of your budget, no issues, you don’t need that anyway.
You should buy a recent model so that you can be sure that it has the latest protocol: 802.11 AC and a network card. This may not be available in older models, so it’s better to avoid buying them. This will give you the benefit of enjoying the fastest wireless connection available today.
Best Laptops For Law School
No matter what laptop you buy, you should avoid getting a netbook. They seem to be very convenient to use, but they have many drawbacks associated with them. Instead, you can opt for an ultrabook, if you have a budget for that.
To make things easier for you, we have shortlisted 5 of the best laptops that could be just perfect for your law school. Take a look at the details and pick the one that you can afford or best suits your requirements.
When it comes to laptops, it is hard to beat the Apple MacBook Air. It may be expensive, but it provides you more than what you need for your law studies. The MacBook Air is a highly functional laptop with attractive looks. Studying with this laptop can never be boring. If you are more into brands and stuff, this could be the perfect choice for you. But before you invest stacks of money after the laptop, let’s take a look at the amazing features it has to offer.
Features of MacBook Air
- It is extremely lightweight and thin which makes it easier for you to carry it around.
- It comes with 8GB RAM LPDDR3 which should be more than what you need. This laptop is designed for multitasking.
- It is powered by 1.8 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 Processor.
- It comes with an Intel HD Graphics 6000 along with fast SSD storage.
- It has two USB 3 ports, one sdxc port, and one Thunderbolt 2 port.
- It has a 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit, widescreen display with 1440-by-900 resolution. It provides support for millions of colors.
Check Latest Price
ASUS is yet another unbeatable brand that is known to manufacture high-performance laptops for users. If you have a flexible budget, then you can opt for this model. With this laptop, you can do a wide variety of tasks. This means after using it for your law studies, you can even use it for your entertainment. The price you pay for this laptop is worth it.
Features of ASUS ZenBook
- It has a 13.3-inch wide-view Full-HD NanoEdge bezel display to give you a better experience.
- It is powered by the Intel Core i5-8265u processor.
- It provides you with fast storage with 512GB memory and 8GB LPDDR3 RAM.
- It comes with extensive connectivity with USB type C, HDMI, Wi-Fi 5, and Micro SD card reader.
- It features a sleek and lightweight design. The laptop weighs just 2.5 pounds which makes it highly portable.
- It has a body made of premium grade aluminum that gives it a nice touch.
- It comes with Windows 10 home pre-installed in it.
Check Latest Price
If you are looking for a high-performance laptop and have a big budget to spend, then Lenovo X-Carbon could be the perfect choice for you. Right from the design to features, it has got everything on point. This laptop is more than what a law student would need. With 10 hours of battery life, you can use the device endlessly without breaking your flow of work. You can use this laptop for both entertainment and work. Also, it can handle multitasking smoothly.
Features of Lenovo X-Carbon
- It is powered and run by Intel Core i5-8350U.
- It comes with 8GB RAM that allows for the smooth functioning of the device even when you are multitasking.
- It provides you with 256GB SSD storage to keep all your documents safe.
- It comes with 1920×1080 resolution with IPS Anti-glare that allows you to work for longer hours without straining your eyes.
- It comes with Windows 10 Pro 64.
- It weighs 4.7lb which is slightly more than 3lb, but it is still very much portable. This a thin laptop that can be carried in your laptop bag easily.
- It gives you a long battery life of 10 hours that allows you to work without getting uninterrupted.
Check Latest Price
Acer Aspire E15 E5-575
This laptop from Acer is suitable for those who are on a budget. But before you invest in this laptop, you should get it clear whether your law school has an issue with weight or not. In comparison to the other models on the list, this is a bit heavier. Despite a budget-friendly laptop, it comes with all the necessary features that you would want in your law school laptop.
Features of Acer Aspire E15 E5-575
- It is run by 8th Generation Intel Core i3 8145u Processor up to 3.9 GHz.
- It is packed with 4GB DDR4 Memory and 128GB PCIeNVMe SSD.
- It comes with a 15.6 inch Full HD with 1920 x 1080 resolution. The widescreen LED-backlit IPS display gives you a better experience.
- It is equipped with Intel UHD Graphics 620.
- It has one USB 3.1 Type C Gen 1 port, two USB 3.1 Gen 1 Ports, one USB 2.0 Port and one HDMI Port with HDCP support
- It has 802.11 AC WiFi with a backlit keyboard so that you can work even in low light.
- It comes with a battery life of up to 9.5 hours.
- It has Windows 10 in S mode.
Check Latest Price
Surface Pro 6
Lastly, we have Surface Pro 6. This is one of the best laptops you can get for your law school. It features a slim design and high-resolution display. This laptop can be used for more than just completing your assignments. With a smooth and functional keyboard and 13.5 hours of battery life, this makes a great choice for students. Due to the lightweight of the laptop, you can carry it wherever you go without straining your back. There is so much more than this laptop offers. Let’s check that out below.
Features of Surface Pro 6
- This is a versatile model that gives you the benefit of a studio and tablet in one single device.
- It comes with the new 8th Generation Intel Core processor to give you more power.
- It is ultra-slim and lightweight starting at just 1.7lb. You can easily carry this laptop in your bag wherever you go.
- It gives you all-day battery life with up to 13.5 hours of video playback. With this laptop, you can carry on with your work without getting interrupted.
- It comes with the Signature Type Cover made of Alcantara material.
- It gives you a full keyboard experience with an ambient light sensor, accelerometer, and gyroscope.
Check Latest Price
You already know the recommended specs for a law school laptop. But there are a few more things to check which are important for your law school laptop to have. To help you out, we have listed all the details below.
Here is a list of all the software that is required by a law school student. You need to make sure that your laptop comes with all of this. In other words, your laptop should be able to support this software.
- MS Office
- One Note
- Video PlayBack
- Westlaw and Lexis
- TextBooks on DVD
- EBB: The Electronic Bluebook software used for final exams.
The display is probably the most important component of a laptop. Investing in a good display always proves to be beneficial. When choosing a laptop, make sure that it has a big enough display with high enough resolution of 1080p. Also, it should support a lot of colors.
All the latest laptops these days come with more than 500GB storage space. Many of them even provide you with 1TB space. The more space you have, the better it is for you as you can store more items without having to delete anything.
Instead of HDDs, you should get SSDs as they are faster and better.
For a law school laptop, getting 4GB RAM would be perfect. However, getting something more than that wouldn’t hurt. If your budget permits, then you can even go up to 8GB RAM. The more RAM your device has, the smoother it will perform. After all, no one likes their laptop to lag when they are working. If you want a multitasking laptop, then 8GB RAM would be the best choice for you.
The next important consideration is the CPU. The best CPUs for a law school laptop would be the ones with U label on it. The U label stands for ULV (Ultra Low Voltage). This type of laptop operates on low energy. As a result, they don’t generate much heat to turn your laptop into a hot pan, after working for 4 hours straight.
For example, you can go for Core i3-7100U, Core i5-8250U, and Core i3-8130U.
The laptop you choose should have a butter smooth keyboard. It should be comfortable enough to type. If you want, you can also go for a backlit keyboard. But most law schools will ask you to switch off your backlight while you are in the class.
Lastly, the most important thing is battery life. When using your laptop in the class, you won’t get to use it on electricity which means you have to be dependent on your device’s battery life. This is why you need to choose something with a long battery life. A laptop with 10 hours or more battery life would make the best choice for a law student.
How much storage is recommended for laptops for law school?
If you are going to buy a laptop for your law school, then you should choose a model with more than 250GB storage space. This should be enough for you to store all your PDFs and documents.
What should be the ideal weight of a laptop for law school?
You will be carrying your laptop to law school almost every day. In this case, the ideal weight should be around 3lb and not more than that.
What are some of the best brands for laptops for law school?
You are advised to get a laptop from a reputed brand. Brands like Acer, Lenovo, and ASUS are great. If you have a more flexible budget, then you can even opt for an Apple laptop.
Is MacBook Air good for law students?
MacBook Air is possibly one of the best laptops available. It is not just suitable for law students but also for other users who can afford it. The laptop is designed for a great experience and is also lightweight.
Should you buy netbooks for law school?
You are advised not to get a netbook for your law school. They are no doubt easy to carry, but more than quality, they are about design and aesthetics. Therefore, it is better to avoid buying them.
A law school laptop doesn’t require high-fi specs. From the above post, we know that it requires very minimum specs. Almost all laptops, whether cheap or pricey, they have more than what is in there in the recommended specs. However, if you are willing to spare a few dollars extra, then you can choose from the list mentioned above. All the four models, except the Acer one, is expensive and provides you more than what you need. But if you are on a tight budget, then you have the Acer laptop to suit your needs.